Sunday, October 3, 2010

Birdies on a branch

I have a thing about birds. When I was young I went through a succession of poor little budgies who never survived very long (not sure what was up with that) and I wanted to be an ornithologist when I grew up. I eventually nixed that idea - I think having all those birds die on me was a bit of a turn-off, and now I just print them out and colour them in :)


Grey birdies


I used this digital stamp from TLC creations (it isn't a fixed price, you donate what you think it is worth).

I also combined challenges again today - using the colour swatches from Embellish Magazine's latest challenge: Background stamping:


And the lovely card by Mariana Grigsby for CASE Study Challenge No. 8 was the inspiration for the layout:


I stamped the background using one of the new background stamps from Kaisercraft simply called 'Script'. I stamped vertically across the card instead of horizontally for the simple reason that the stamp wasn't long enough to go horizontally! To get a graduating effect I inked it up using my Chateau Gray Versacolour cube and stamped it on the far left side of the card, then without inking it up again I lined it up with the first impression and stamped. I did this again and got the faintest of impressions toward the right hand side of the card.

I used a makeup sponge with the Chateau Gray again and sponged around the edges of the card, as well as the circle with the birdies which I coloured using prismacolor pencils.

Oh and the grey ribbon and button I used came from an item of clothing I bought last weekend. I don't use the little ribbon bits they sew onto the shoulders for hanging so I always cut them off, though I think this is the first card I've ever actually used them on a card - I've really got to do that more often, after all, it's free ribbon!

Size of card: A5 folded in half (C6)

Supplies:
Card/paper - Quill white cardstock, Cre8tive textured cardstock, Eraldo di Paolo drawing cartridge paper
Stamps - Kaisercraft clear stamp - Script, "Ruffle your feathers" by TLC Creations
 Ink - Versacolor cube "Chateau Gray"
 Extra - Kaisercraft white grosgrain ribbon, Grey ribbon and button, Prismacolor pencils: Jasmine, Cream, Warm Gray 10%, 30% and 90%, DMC thread (for sewing button)
 Tools - Carl rotary trimmer, Helmar glue runner, needle, makeup sponge, Bigshot and nestabilities (Big Scallops and Circles)


Challenges: Embellish Magazine: Background Stamping / CASE Study Challenge No. 8

12 comments:

  1. This is so pretty and elegant, love the bit of yellow. And great way to repurpose ribbon too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love the color combination! awesome elegant card:-) those birds look so fuffy and ready for winter..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, elegant card, Jess! Beautiful design and I love the colour combination! Your soft colouring of the birds looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely CAS card, Jess! Thanks so much for playing the CASE Study!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a beautiful card! I love the grey and white color scheme, with just a touch of yellow.

    Now I'm going to go through my closet and cut off all my hanger ribbons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fabulous card - I adore the hint of yellow! So subtle but oh so pretty!
    Thanks for joining us on CASE study!
    Hugs,
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty script background and I like birds on paper craft projects too! Thanks for joining the Embellish background stamping color challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful card!! I love the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is so elegant and so stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Jess this is absolutely stunning!! I love your subtle colours and the wee bit of yellow is just perfect!! thanks for sharing your creative masterpiece at CASE study this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous crisp, clean design. Wonderful use of neutrals and paired with that lovely image makes your card super elegant! Thanks for playing along with us at CASE Study!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word!! LOVE IT! Thanks for playing along with Embellish!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate each and every one I receive!