Sunday, October 10, 2010

Happy Birthday

I have such fun playing along with the CASE Study challenges! Here's my entry for this week, inspired by the lovely card by Barbara Anders.

My card:

Happy Birthday

And here's Barbara's card:


As you can see I didn't deviate from Barbara's layout too much. I stamped the background using the 'stamping off' method - inking up the stamps, stamping first onto scrap paper, and then onto the project. It was time-consuming but it gave me the muted look that I wanted. After I finished stamping I found that I didn't have a ribbon to match the green that I used (Olive Versacolor) so I used my Marine Green Prismacolor pencil to make the stems and leaves a bit darker and tend toward the yellower side of green.

After I added the vintage brass-toned brad to the centre of the tissue paper flower I realised that the background flowers needed the same treatment - so I got out my Dark Umber Prismacolor pencil and filled all of the centres in.

This was also my first foray in the world of Distress Ink. I think I have to learn to be a bit more free and easy with it though, as I put the tiniest little bit on my sponge and had to keep going back to the stamp pad.

Size of card: 6 x 4 (top folding)

Supplies:
Card/paper - Quill white cardstock, Bazzill cardstock "Pine Needle"
 Stamps - Flower: Tiffanys - We R Memory Keepers, Stem: Basic Grey mini stamp set - Thanks, Hero Arts "Classic Sentiments"
Ink - Distress Ink "Old Paper", Versacolor cubes in Scarlet, Olive and Bamboo
Extra - Kaisercraft green grosgrain ribbon, Prismacolor pencil: Marine Green, Tissue Paper Flower [see tutorial here], Paper Studio brad.
Tools - Carl rotary trimmer, Helmar glue runner, scissors, glue dot, decorative scissors


Challenge: CASE Study Challenge No. 9

Thanks for looking!

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely card, Jess :) I love the soft colours, beautiful stamping, and that funky tissue flower! Thanks so much for playing with us this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful, that flower is a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful flower - it looks so delicate!
    Thanks for playing along with us on CASE study!
    Hugs,
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! That red flower is absolutely striking! Thanks for playing along with us at CASE Study!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with the sketch! I hope I find time to play along with this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness...so so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty - love the repeating flowers. :) Thanks for playing along with the CASE study blog - it's so much fun to be their sponsor this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate each and every one I receive!