Saturday, August 21, 2010

Happy Birthday

This is the final card I will be entering into the Helping Hudson challenges, as it is nearly the end of the fundraiser! Good news though - the team have raised enough for Hudson to get his walker! It's such a lovely feeling to be involved in something (however tenuously!) that will bring such joy to people I don't even know! That's charity for you I suppose :)

So here's my card for the final technique challenge - embossing and sponging. I went through alot of different ideas before I hit upon this one. Nothing was working! Luckily inspiration hit late last night and I created this:

Happy Birthday


Technically it's 'debossing', but I'm sure it still counts! I sponged around the edges of the patterned paper layers with my "Sand" versacolor cube to give them a bit of definition.

And that isn't a word window punch I used for the sentiment - I faked it! To make your own word window (which has the added advantage of being as long as you need it to be - think of the possibilities!) I cut a strip of paper a touch thinner than my 3/8" circle punch. I then slid one end in from the back side of the punch. I stamped the sentiment and then did the same to the other end. I thought I had a page bookmarked that showed this technique but I don't, so I've modelled it for you below:



I think the strip of paper I used was slightly too thin to make the perfect rounded edges, but you get the idea.

Size of card: 4" square

Supplies:
Card/paper - Quill black cardstock, Chatterbox Designer Paper "Botanico Garden"
Stamps - Hero Arts "Classic Messages"
Ink - Versafine "Onyx Black", Versacolor "Sand"
Tools - Carl rotary trimmer, Big Shot, Big Scallop nestabilities, Circle nestabilities, Cuttlebug "Swiss Dots" folder, Helmar tape runner, Papercraft foam dots, Sullivan's 3/8" circle punch


Challenge: Helping Hudson Challenge 8 - Technique

3 comments:

  1. beautiful card jess. and thanks for the technique - i have used my 1/4" corner chomper to do same but the paper can't be quite as narrow as yours - so will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunner of a card and love the fake word window technique - will definitely be giving that a go. Thanks for taking part in our challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful and striking card Jess! Thanks for the brilliant tip on making the rounded sentiment strip!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate each and every one I receive!