Thursday, August 19, 2010

Paper flower tutorial

It took me a while, but I finally got there with my paper flowers tutorial that I promised in this post. Hope you enjoy it!

What you will need:

  • Six tissue paper circles (or flowers if you have a die-cutting machine and nestabilities)

  • Needle (a mending/fabric needle is best)

  • Thread (doesn't matter what colour, nobody will see it!)

Gather up your tissue paper circles/flowers and line them up so they're sitting on top of each other. I'm using six because after trial and error I've found that it is the easiest amount to push the needle through, but you could definitely try more if you're game!



Pick the stack up and fold in half. Please ignore my horrible nails (yep, I'm a biter!)



Fold again until it forms a point.



Thread your needle and tie a knot at the end. Start sewing into the tissue paper at around 3-4mm (1/4") from the point, all the way around. You don't have to be overly neat with the stitches, but try to keep it even all the way around - not doing so makes for a lopsided finished flower!





When you're done sewing open up the flower carefully to check it out and make sure it doesn't look lopsided, and looks the way you want it to.



If you aren't happy with it you can close it all back up again and keep sewing. If you're satisfied, you can either leave it as is, or do what I do, and give it a bit of a crinkled effect by closing it again and smooshing the edges with my fingers.





To finish cut the thread about 5cm (2") from the flower and tie a double overhand knot. Pull it firmly, but don't wrench it - you might rip the tissue paper. Trim the excess and put a rhinestone/pearl or button in the centre and you're done! Here are some that I prepared earlier:

Paper Flowers tutorial


The flower I made for this tutorial is the big one on the right.

I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial! If there is anything that doesn't make sense and needs further explanation, please let me know!

All of the embellishments shown on the flowers are Kaisercraft.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking flowers...thanks fro the tutorial
    Cynthia Schelzig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tutorial Jess! The flowers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate each and every one I receive!