Saturday, August 7, 2010

Merci

The CAS-tastic Wednesday challenge this week is to CASE one of the design team's cards. Until tonight I had no idea what that actually stood for. I knew roughly what it meant: you copy a card you like the look of, but give it your own flavour.
Well I googled it tonight and found the explanation in this blog post. It actually stands for Copy And Share Alike. Makes sense!

Here's the card I CASEd:



And here's my version:

Merci


The colours aren't my usual style but I like the way they work together. I used them to follow with the Helping Hudson Challenge No.2: Colour at the Helping Hudson blog. Click here to visit the blog and find out about Hudson, and the challenges. It's a truly worthy cause!

I don't have any of the actual colours (Rose Red, Pretty in Pink, Not Quite Navy), so I improvised with my Grant Archival pastels and brights collection of 12x12 papers.

I used my Versamark inkpad for the first time tonight, and I went to town! I paired it with Seafoam White embossing powder from Stamp It. Gosh that stuff sticks! I used my homemade embossing buddy (read: cornstarch in a baggie) beforehand and it still stuck everywhere. Luckily it was holding on tight to the versamark like there was no tomorrow - I was able to blow on it and tap it on the back to my heart's content, and it only shifted the bits and pieces that weren't stuck to the versamark.

I also versamarked the blue strip and THEN stamped the sentiment and embossed it (I know! I like to live life on the edge eh?)
To combat the stickiness (as versamark stays sticky for a LONG time in case you didn't know) I dobbed on it with my homemade embossing buddy and that stopped the previously sticky bits of versamark from being sticky. This allowed me to stamp the sentiment and emboss it more or less easily (read: by thumping it repeatedly on the back and blowing on it till I started getting light-headed).

Size of card: 4" square

Supplies:
Card/paper - Quill white cardstock, Grant Archival Brights and Pastels 12x12 paper
Stamps - Hero Arts "Blossoms", Inkadinkado "Chelsea Sentiments"
Ink - Versamark
Tools - Fiskars paper trimmer, Snow sanding block, Helmar tape runner, sticky dots, scissors, Stamp It embossing powder in Seafoam White

Challenges: Helping Hudson Challenge No.2 / CWC015


Thanks for looking! :)

6 comments:

  1. Nice take on the cased card...also nice....thanks for the inspiration.
    Cynthia Schelzig ....a.k.a. Cynnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW, what a fabulous and beautiful CASE! I giggled when I read your post ... you certainly did a LOT of embossing ... and blowing ... on this baby! Certainly was worth it though ... this is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny post today. Love the bright colors of your flower and layer behind it. Debs card was great but you have your own fabulous interpretation here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the white, and thanks for the definition of CASE, never knew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your interpretation of the colour challenge! You've done well, as the 'busy' coloured section is nicely balanced by the white space. Thanks for supporting the Helping Hudson fundraiser.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very striking card Jess. Love the boldness of the flower.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate each and every one I receive!