It features Bazzill Bling (cardstock with a lovely pearly/metallic shine), 1 A4 sheet of Blue Diamond vellum, 1 foot of white grosgrain ribbon, 4 eyelet studs and 1 pack of Kaisercraft Blue square rhinestones.
I also used up more of the Kaisercraft Birthday Cards rubons from this designer pack.
I made four cards with this pack, and tried to make them as masculine (or unisex) as possible. I used everything except for one eyelet and a couple of scraps of cardstock and vellum.
Here's the card I am sharing with you today:
True to my word, I bought some vellum tape (3M Scotch to be precise) and because it's the only vellum adhesive I've ever worked with I can't compare it to other brands, but I have a couple of remarks in case you're interested:
- It works best on light-coloured vellum on top of light-coloured cardstock/paper. I tried it on the dark blue Bazzill I received in the pack and it had a 'wet look' even when I burnished the surface with my bone folder. It's not perfect with white vellums either, as I noticed on the white parts of my vellum that it had a slight yellowish tinge. To counter this I was careful when cutting to try to get the diamonds in the corners as much as possible so that I could hide the adhesive better.
- I found that, much to my frustration, it stuck to my fingers and I was getting the vellum and card all dirty and sticky... yuck! It reminded me alot of removable adhesive actually. I developed a way of getting it stuck down without touching it with my fingers, and that was to leave it on the edge of the scissors after cutting and then positioning it on the vellum still on the edge of scissors, and then press it down with a finger from the other hand. No more sticky fingers!
- The absolute worst thing about using vellum and adhesive (I think this would go for ANY adhesive) is that EVERYTHING shows through. Got a bit of cat hair caught in there? Yep, that shows! What about a teeny tiny miniscule bit of god-knows-what? Yep that shows too! I ended up only adhering in the corners for this reason (as well as the reason in my first remark above) as it's easier to keep little 1cm bits clean than long strips.
- That all being said, I liked how easy the vellum was to reposition right after sticking it onto the cardstock base (allowing me, the crappy layerer that I am to actually have a well-lined-up card). It didn't stay repositionable though, as I came back to it 20 mins later and gave it a test 'tug' and it wouldn't budge!
The rubons worked great with the vellum - just try to rub them on before sticking the vellum onto the cardstock layer! This will speed up the process as the rubbing tool won't get caught down in the little textured crevices, and it will have a smoother finish when you're done.
I hope you've enjoyed my vellum adhesive ramblings, and the card. I'll post the rest of the cards from the pack over the next few days.
Size of card: C6 - A5 folded in half
Card/paper - Bazzill Bling cardstock, Blue Diamond A4 vellum
Extras - Kaisercraft Birthday Cards rubon, Kaisercraft Blue square rhinestones, white grosgrain ribbon
Tools - Fiskars paper trimmer, Helmar glue runner, Papercrafts foam dots, Provocraft bone folder (for rubon), Scotch Vellum Tape